Note: Some four-year institutions will accept Associate of Applied Science degrees, but these degrees are not usually intended for transferring.
The Transfer Process
- Begin searching for universities which offer the major of your choice.
- Check on the accreditation, location, and size of the university.
- Get a sense of the academic and social environment. Visit the campus if possible.
- Consider costs, available scholarships, financial aid, and other ways to meet costs.
- Decide which university best suits your needs.
- Learn about the general education requirements and lower division coursework in the curriculum at the institution you are considering.
- Work with your advisor to select appropriate classes for your NMJC degree plan, keeping in mind the required curriculum at your transfer university. Select classes that transfer appropriately. The transfer equivalency table lists NMJC courses and course equivalencies established by five area universities. Please be aware that although many courses transfer, the key issue is whether a transferable course will apply to a particular degree.
- Familiarize yourself with your future university's deadlines for admission and scholarships.