Associate of Science
The Associate of Science and the Associate of Arts degrees are designed for students who plan to pursue a baccalaureate degree, although some programs fulfill occupational as well as personal goals. They are designed as flexible degree plans that allow a student to take the classes needed for a variety of academic majors at a four-year institution of higher learning. The Associate of Science degree is usually used for various science, math, and engineering majors; and the Associate of Arts degree usually best fits all of the other transfer majors.
The Associate of Science degree is sometimes referred to as a “university parallel” or “transfer” degree. The general education requirements, when completed at NMJC, generally meet the lower division general education requirements of all public baccalaureate colleges and universities in the state of New Mexico. Students, after consulting with advisors, will need to select courses suitable to their educational needs, (i.e., career goal, major, learning style, transfer goals). Students should review transfer information before making degree plans.
Degree Plan for Associate of Science (AS) - 60 Credit Hours
General Graduation Requirements
Candidates for any associates degree offered by NMJC must meet the following minimum degree requirements:
• A minimum of 60 acceptable semester hours must be earned.
• A minimum of 15 semester hours must be earned at NMJC. The remainder may be acceptable transfer credits.
• The student must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.
• Transitional and / or developmental courses do not fulfill any of the above requirements.
• Students will not be permitted to graduate if they have unresolved incomplete (I) grades on their academic record.