Housing Frequently Asked Questions

 Do you have questions about housing?

Let us answer them for you!!!

Life at Housing


At this time, because of limited space, there is no college-wide requirement for students to live on campus, (although individual programs may require a student to live on campus.)

Yes, you will need to reserve your spot in housing. This is done by completing the Housing Application and paying the application fee of $25. Students usually apply prior to the start of the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.

Yes, Public Safety is on duty 24-hours a day. If you ever need to contact them their number is 575-399-2033. Rooms and gates cannot be accessed without the appropriate key card. There is also a camera system in place to keep an eye out for anyone who is not supposed to be on the premises. 

Yes, you may request a roommate (or roommates if you are planning on living in the apartments). Housing generally tries to honor roommate requests unless there is specific reason why we can’t (e.g., coaches tend to decide who athletes’ roommates will be).  

Personal items (e.g., pictures, decorations), towels, sheets (twin extra-long), pillows, blankets, trash can, toiletry/hygiene items, mini-refrigerator (in the dorms), microwave (in the dorms), television (limited cable is provided for free), cleaning items, kitchen items (especially for the apartments), laundry items, etc.

If you have the opportunity, you may want to check with your roommate(s) before purchasing some items so that you don’t end up with too many. 

Hot plates, firearms, candles, toaster ovens, water furniture, space heaters, etc.

If you are not sure about something than it is best to call Housing and find out.

You are encouraged to decorate your room/apartment. However, when decorating do not use any type of fastener that could leave holes in the walls (e.g., nails) or take the paint off the walls. Also, decorating with pornographic, drug, or alcoholic paraphernalia is unacceptable.

Pets are not allowed in housing. Assistance/service animals are allowed, although it is a case-by-case basis. Housing acknowledges the importance of Assistance animals, which is why they work closely with Student Disability Services when potentially preparing for an Assistance animal stay in the Housing complex. To find out more on the matter, it is best to read the available information in the Student Handbook or contact Kelly Rueda at 575-492-2576.

 You will be assigned a mailbox when you check-in; the mailboxes are located in the office area of the Carroll Leavell Student Apartments. The students' mailing address is as follows:

Student Name
Attn: Student Housing
3 Thunderbird Circle
Hobbs, NM 88240

There is not a set curfew or time where students have to return to housing. However, there is a curfew for how late students can stay out in the Housing Courtyard, that curfew is 3 a.m. During the evenings you’re also expected to be considerate of your neighbors and keep the noise levels down.

You are allowed to have visitors, but there are rules concerning visitors. Visitors should never be left unattended. There is also a Visitor Curfew in all dorm rooms and apartments: Sundays-Thursdays until 12:00 a.m. and Fridays-Saturdays until 1:00 a.m. If you would like to have an overnight guest, your guest must be the same gender and at least 18 years of age, you must get approval by the Housing Staff, and your guest must be properly checked in.

You may not smoke inside any of the buildings on campus; E-cigarettes and vapor pens are not allowed in housing. However, you may smoke regular cigarettes outside in the designated smoking areas. Please make sure the cigarette butts are thrown away in the available cigarette receptacles. 

 No, alcohol is not allowed on the NMJC campus, regardless of your age.

Washers and dryers are available in both the dorms and apartments. It cost $1 to wash a load of clothes and 50₵ to dry a set of clothes. Change machines are available in the office area of the Carroll Leveall Apartments and the laundry area of the apartments; the machines accept $1, $5, $10, and $20 bills. Students are responsible for purchasing their own laundry detergent, fabric softener, etc.

Once you have registered your vehicle and received your parking sticker, you can park anywhere that is not designated for handicapped visitors, reserved for college administrators, or clearly marked reserved parking for any other use.