NMJC College Catalog

Ask NMJC Help Desk
800.657.6260 (Toll Free)
575.492.2577 (Help Desk)
575.492.2559 (Fax)
Hours: Monday-Friday 8AM-5PM
Located in the Ben Alexander Center

Admissions Information

New Mexico Junior College is an independent two-year comprehensive community college having as a major part of its fundamental mission the provision of serving the needs and making accessible post-secondary education to the members of the community. In order to fulfill this mission, the College has an open-door policy for admission of students in credit courses and programs, who have graduated from an accredited high school, completed a General Education Development (GED) or High School Equivalency (HiSET) certificate, or who through age and experience qualify for admission. The College also has opportunities for high school juniors and seniors to take college classes.

In order to ensure that the student has every opportunity for success, incoming students are required to meet with an academic or faculty advisor, either in person, via telephone, or virtually, prior to enrolling in courses. During this meeting, the advisor will review assessment results, prior course grades, discuss future academic and career goals, assist in identifying a path to achieve those goals, select the appropriate NMJC degree plan, and enroll the student into the appropriate courses.

Prospective students are encouraged to visit the campus. Arrangements for visits that will include a full exploration of college life can be made by contacting the NMJC Helpdesk at asknmjc@nmjc.edu or (575) 492-2577.  The Vice President for Student Services is responsible for administering the admissions policies and procedures of the College. 

Admission to the College does not guarantee admission to all programs. Certain programs may have restricted enrollments, additional enrollment processes, and/or early enrollment dates. Applicants should consult with an Academic Advisor or Division Dean for details concerning admission to these programs. In addition, individuals may be denied admission to NMJC, denied enrollment in certain courses and/or programs, and participation in NMJC sponsored activities if it is determined that such access is likely to pose a serious threat to the safety of the applicant and / or members of the NMJC community. Such determination will be made on a case-by-case basis and is subject to review by the Vice President for Student Services and the Vice President for Instruction.

Direct correspondence concerning admission to NMJC to:
New Mexico Junior College
1 Thunderbird Circle
Hobbs, NM 88240

Student service offices, including advisors, registrar, and Vice President of Student Services, are located in the Ben Alexander Student Learning Center.

New Mexico Junior College (NMJC) does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation (including perceived sexual orientation), gender identity, marital status, spousal affiliation, disability (physical or mental), serious medical condition, age (40 and older), genetic information or veteran status or any other legally protected categories, classes or characteristics.  NMJC is committed to ensuring persons of all these protected classes will have access to NMJC’s programs, facilities, and employment.


  1. If You Are a Graduate of an Accredited High School - An applicant who is a graduate of an accredited high school will be admitted upon the submission of the NMJC admissions application and presentation of a properly authenticated high school transcript.  All transcripts must contain the date of graduation, have an administrative signature, and if applicable, translated into English.
  2.  If You Are a Graduate of a Home School - An applicant who has successfully completed a nontraditional secondary educational program, including home school, will be admitted upon the submission of the NMJC admissions application and proof of home school completion from the NMPED Home School System. OR other official state granting record of high school completion.
  3.  If You Have Earned a GED or HiSET Certificate - Applicants who have earned a high school equivalent ((HSE): GED®/HiSET®) certificate will be admitted upon presentation of a properly authenticated certificate of completion.
  4. If You Have Earned the NEDP©Applicants who have earned adult diplomas under the National External Diploma Program (NEDP©) will be admitted upon presentation of a properly authenticated certificate of completion. 
  5.  If You Are at Least 16 Years Old and You Are Not a High School Graduate and Have Not Obtained a High School Equivalency Certificate - NMJC offers an Adult Basic Education (ABE) program. The NMJC Adult Education Program offers morning and evening classes, free of charge. Classes generally run from August to June each year. The program offers classes for High School equivalent  (HSE):GED®/HiSET® as well as English as a Second Language (ESL). To enroll, all students must attend a registration and orientation. Classes are offered at variety of locations. The NMJC Adult Education Program Office is located in the Ben Alexander Building in room 205; (575) 492-2629. In addition, underage applicants may petition the NMJC Registrar for individual approval. Approval will be based on age, experience, and ability to benefit. (See information regarding Admission appeals at the end of this section.)
  6. If you are at least 18 years old and you are not a high school graduate and have not obtained a high school equivalent certificate - A person who is 18 years of age or older, who is not a high school graduate and has not earned a GED or HiSET certificate may enroll in select technical or vocational programs may audit courses for personal enrichment, or may enroll in transitional or ESL courses. In addition, applicants may petition the NMJC Registrar for individual approval. Approval will be based on age, experience, and ability to benefit. (See information regarding Admission appeals at the end of this section.)
  7.  If You Are a Current High School Student - NMJC provides qualified high school-aged students a variety of opportunities to enroll in college classes. Credits earned may be applied toward a NMJC certificate and / or degree and most are transferable to other colleges. Students enrolled in any of these programs are subject to all NMJC policies and regulations.
    • Lea County High School Dual Credit—NMJC has agreements in place with Lea County high schools which provide juniors and seniors the opportunity to take college courses for which they will simultaneously earn both college and high school credit. NMJC provides a waiver of tuition and fees and the high school covers the cost of required textbooks. Students should contact their high school counselor for more information.
    • Dual Credit Academy – The NMJC Dual Credit Academy (previously known as Early College) provides the opportunity for Lea County public high school juniors and seniors to earn a high school diploma and a college-level credential and/or degree simultaneously through courses taken on the NMJC campus. NMJC provides a waiver of tuition and fees and the high school covers the cost of required textbooks. Students must make application at their high school.
    • ACT Academy – The NMJC ACT Academy provides Lea County public high school juniors and seniors the opportunity to earn college-level Applied Sciences and Technology credits and/or credential through courses taken on the NMJC campus. NMJC provides a waiver of tuition and fees and the high school covers the cost of required textbooks. Students must make application at their high school.
    • Concurrent Enrollment - Concurrent Enrollment provides high school and home school students between 16-18 years old the opportunity to enroll in NMJC and take college courses. Students looking to receive high school credit for college courses should check with their school before enrollment. 
      • An NMJC admissions application must be completed and clearly marked "concurrent enrollment" and  the student and the parent or guardian must complete a concurrent form, available at the NMJC Help Desk.
      • NMJC provides a waiver of tuition and fees for Lea county students who qualify for New Mexico in-state tuition status. Students are responsible for the cost of textbooks.
      • Home-school students will need to show home-school registration with the New Mexico Public Education Department at https://webnew.ped.state.nm.us/bureaus/options-parents-families/home-schools/ and provide to NMJC their state-issued student ID number.  State ID numbers may be obtained by contacting Dyanne Salazar at duanne.salazar@state.nm.us or (505) 476-8441.
      • Students should contact the NMJC Helpdesk for additional information
  8. If You Are a Transfer Student - A college transfer student in good standing at his or her previous college will be accepted for admission at NMJC. Students on academic suspension at a previous institution are subject to the Academic Suspension requirements and appeals process described in the Academic Standing portion of this catalog.  Students must present official transcripts of all previous college work as well as the high school transcript or high school equivalent certificate. Official transcripts should be sent directly to the NMJC Registrar's Office from the respective institutions and should be on file at the time of enrollment. (Information regarding transfer of credits can be found under the Transfer Credit heading later in this section.)
  9.  If You Have Previously Attended NMJC and Are Seeking Re-Admission - Former students of NMJC, not on academic suspension, may enroll during any scheduled registration period without re-application, provided they have attended NMJC within the past year. Students who have not attended within the past year must file an application for re-admission.  Students who have attended another college or university since leaving NMJC will be considered transfer students and must submit official transcripts from all colleges attended.
  10. If You Are a New International Student Requesting an I-20 from NMJC - International students are defined as "non-immigrant" visitors who come to the United States temporarily to take classes. A non-immigrant is someone who intends to stay in the US temporarily, does not have US citizenship or legal permanent resident status (a "green card"), and applies for a visa to be allowed entry into the United States. To comply with federal laws and immigration requirements, international students must be degree-seeking students.
    • Application and Documentation Submission Deadlines for International Students:  
      • Fall Semester (August): April 1        -Spring Semester (January): September 1
    • International Student Application: Students seeking an F-1 Visa must begin the process by completing the International Student Application found on the NMJC website at:  https://www.nmjc.edu/admission/apply_online/index.aspx
    • Academic Records:  New Mexico Junior College requires official copies of high school, secondary, and university transcripts. Notarized, faxed copies or photocopies of these documents may be submitted for application purposes, but certified documents must be provided prior to course registration. Certified documents must contain the original signature(s), stamp(s) or seal(s) of the issuing institution’s designated official.
    • Students must submit evidence of graduation from an acceptable secondary school and must be eligible for admission to a recognized university in their home country.The official transcript must be an original document translated into English and must show each course completed and grade earned.
    • Financial Documents: Proof of financial ability to remain at New Mexico Junior College must be submitted prior to issuance of an I-20. Complete and return the NMJC Certificate of Financial Responsibility with required supporting documentation. The applicant must provide proof of adequate financial support for at least one full year of study at NMJC (minimum of $15,000).
    • Photocopy of student’s passport.  
    • Proof of English Proficiency: If you are from a country in which English is not the official language you must provide proof of English language proficiency. Any of the following may be used as proof of proficiency.
      • Completion of four years of U.S. high school with a 2.0 GPA or better
      • Completion of high school in English-speaking Canada, the United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia, or New Zealand.
      •  ACT English score of 19 or better (test not required for admission)
      • SAT Read/Write score of 500 or better (post-March 2016) (test not required for admission)
      • 1 year of full-time study (minimum 24 credit hours) at a regionally-accredited US college or university with a 3.0 GPA or higher
      • Completion of one semester of freshman English composition with a grade of "C" or higher at a regionally-accredited U.S. college or university.
      • Bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited US college or university or a recognized institution in English-Speaking Canada, the United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia, or New Zealand.
      • Official score on the International version of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of at least 500 (paper-based), or 173 (computerized), or 72 (Internet) with a minimum score of 18 on each section. (scores valid for 2 years
      • Official score on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) of 6.0 or higher. (scores valid for 2 years
      • NMJC English Language Pathway Program of Study - International students with limited English language proficiency that do not meet the stated English proficiency standards may be eligible to enroll in the NMJC English Language Pathway. Applicants must have completed the equivalent of an American upper secondary school education and have the appropriate diplomas or satisfactory results on leaving examinations, as well as prior referenced proof of financial ability. Upon arrival, the student will be given a placement test to determine proper placement in the Pathway program. Students will remain in the Pathway until English proficiency is exhibited or up to two semesters. The Pathway student will be required to be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester in a combination of transitional English and/or reading coursework, English as a Second Language coursework and credit bearing coursework. No online or distance education courses may count toward the student’s full course of study. Upon successful completion of the Pathway program, the student will be moved into the Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree program of his or her choice. This information will be updated in SEVIS and an updated I-20 will be issued to the student.
  11. If You Are an International Student Transferring from Another U.S. College - The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services must be notified when an international student transfers from one U.S. institution to another. Once a student is admitted, NMJC will provide a “transfer-in form” that will need to be completed by the previous U.S. institution and submitted to NMJC to release the active visa information for update. However, if a student is “out of status” with USCIS, that student should reinstate him/herself with USCIS prior to enrolling at NMJC.
General Information & Policies Affecting All F-1 Visa Holders
    • Full Course Load: Holders of F-1 student visas must register for and complete at least 12 credit hours each semester, of which only three hours can be in an Internet course.
    • Tuition payment: Please be advised that payment of tuition, fees and on-campus housing is due at the time of registration.
    • Employment Restrictions: Students on F-1 visas do not normally have employment privileges. Government regulations require international students to certify that they have finances deemed sufficient by the College while pursuing their degree without employment. International students should not expect to support themselves through employment while attending NMJC.
    •  CPT and OPT: Curricular and optional training opportunities are not available for international students at NMJC.  
    • Check in: Students must check in with the International office upon arrival and at the beginning of each semester.
    • Travel: If you plan to leave the United States, you must bring your I-20 to the international office for endorsement before you leave. If this is not done before you leave the country, you will not be allowed to return to the United States.
Questions regarding an International student’s immigration status should be directed to the Associate Registrar in charge of international student issues. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain the correct visa and to maintain the appropriate immigration status while in the United States.
  1. Complete the application for admission online at www.nmjc.edu
    • High school students, who took dual credit classes at NMJC, must complete a “new” application after high school graduation before taking additional classes.
    • Returning students that have not been enrolled in over 2 years must complete a new application for admission.
  2. Submit an official high school transcript or high school equivalent certificate, showing date of graduation / completion.Transfer students must submit high school transcripts (note exemptions below).
  3. Submit official college transcript(s) from all previous colleges attended, if applicable.
  4. Provide Accuplacer scores, and ACT or SAT scores, if available. (ACT and SAT scores are not required for admission, but can be helpful in advisement and may provide exemptions for Accuplacer testing, based on scores.)
Transcripts - Transcripts of previous high school or college coursework and certificates of high school equivalency completion are important to NMJC for a variety of reasons. These include:
  • Proper advisement into programs and courses
  • Possible testing exemptions
  • Confirmation of pre-requisite course completion
  • Financial aid eligibility
  • Transfer of college coursework
  • Evidence of high school or equivalent completion
Because of the importance, incoming students are required to provide official copies, sent directly from all schools or colleges attended, before meeting with an advisor for registration.
Transcript Requirement Exemptions - Students in the following categories will not be required to submit transcripts or HS equivalent certificates. (These exemptions may not satisfy eligibility requirements for financial aid, veterans’ educational benefits, or other assistance. Please see an academic or financial aid advisor for additional information.)
  • Students only auditing courses for personal enrichment.
  • Students enrolled only in transitional or ESL courses.
  • Dual Credit, ACT Academy, Concurrent, or Dual Credit Academy students.
  • Students that have obtained an associate’s degree, or 60 hours of transferable college hours, are exempt from providing a high school transcript.
  • A person who is 18 years of age or older, who is not a high school graduate and has not earned a GED or HiSET certificate, may enroll in certain technical or vocational programs. 
Students may file an appeal with the registrar if unusual circumstances prohibit submission of a required transcript. (see Admission Appeals at the end of this section)
Residency Classification for Tuition Purposes
A student is classified as a resident or non-resident for tuition purposes based on information supplied at the time of admission or readmission. All residency requirements must be met before the first day of the term. The New Mexico Higher Education department establishes residence requirements for tuition purposes. These requirements apply to U.S. citizens, those with Permanent Resident immigration status, or those who have applied for Permanent Resident status. Residency requirements and information are available in the Admissions & Records Office and from the New Mexico Higher Education department’s Web page at www.hed.state.nm.us
Minimally, four basic requirements must be met (additional requirements may apply):
  1. Only individuals who are financially independent may establish residency regardless of age. A student cannot be approved for residency who is financially dependent upon the parents or legal guardian who are non-residents of NM. Dependency will be based on the previous tax year for residency purposes. If you are under the age of 23 at the time of application for residency, a copy of your parents’ or guardians’ 1040 or 1040A U.S. income tax form for the previous tax year may be required. If you are shown to be a dependent on this tax form, you will not be considered financially independent. (See Minor section for more information), AND
  2. Sign a written declaration of intent to relinquish residency in any other state and establish residency in NM, AND
  3. Physically reside in the state for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the term for which classification is requested. NOTE: A student must be at least 19 years old to complete the 12-month requirement. (See Minors section), AND
  4. Have evidence of any two of the following:
    • If you are financially dependent, a copy of the parents’ or guardians’ previous year income tax information showing you as a dependent and the parents’ address as New Mexico (See Financial Independence Requirement Section);
    • A New Mexico high school transcript issued in the past year confirming attendance at a NM public or private high school within the past 12 months;
    • A transcript from an online high school showing a New Mexico address confirming attendance within the last 12 months;
    • A New Mexico driver’s license or ID card with an original date of issue or a renewal date issued prior to the first day of the term or semester.
    • Proof of payment of New Mexico state income tax for the previous year;
    • Evidence of employment within the state of New Mexico;
    • New Mexico vehicle registration; Voter registration in New Mexico;
    • Proof of residential property ownership in New Mexico;
    • A rental agreement within New Mexico;
    • Utility bills showing the applicant name and a New Mexico address;
    • Other evidence that would reasonably support the individual’s intent to establish and maintain New Mexico residency.
Waiver of Non-resident Tuition
The following individuals may receive a waiver of non- resident tuition and are not required to complete the 12- month duration requirement. Sufficient documentation will be required for each:
  • An individual married to a legal resident of New Mexico.
  • Spouse and dependent children of a person who has moved to New Mexico and has obtained permanent full- time employment.
  • Non-resident members of the U.S. armed forces, and their spouse and dependents stationed on active duty in New Mexico.
  • Active service members of the U.S. armed forces who were legal residents of New Mexico prior to entering service may retain their New Mexico residency.
  • Active participating members of the New Mexico National Guard and their spouse and dependents.
  • Individuals, their spouses and dependents who move to New Mexico for retirement purposes.
  • Members of an Indian nation, tribe or pueblo located wholly or partially in New Mexico, regardless of residence.
  • Part-time students enrolled for six hours or less during a regular semester.
  • During summer sessions, non-resident tuition may be waived according to the institution’s tuition policy.
  • Any student receiving a state-funded athletic scholarship from a New Mexico public post-secondary institution.
Petitions for New Mexico Residency for Tuition Purposes
  • A non-resident student who believes he / she has satisfied the residency requirements may obtain a “Petition for Resident Tuition Classification” and the checklist of required supporting documentation online at www.nmjc.edu or from the Registrar’s Office. All residency requirements must be met before the first day of the term in which the student petitions. A petition received after that date will not be considered.
  • The completed petition and required supporting documentation must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. A student may be requested to supply additional information or to explain apparent inconsistencies before a final decision is reached. The student is notified of the decision and, if denied, may amend his / her petition with additional information and / or appeal to the Vice President for Student Services, who is the student’s last recourse. If the student satisfies the residency requirements for a future term, he / she may re-petition for residency for that term. 
  • Tuition is charged according to a student’s residency status (tuition classification) and the number of hours enrolled. Refer to the Tuition & Fees Section under Finances in this Catalog. Also, information is on our website.
Appeals of admission requirements, including age restrictions, and transcript requirements, may be made by petitioning the NMJC Registrar for individual approval. In order to be considered the applicant may be asked to:
  • complete the NMJC admission application; provide an official transcript from the last school attended.
  • submit a letter that outlines experience or circumstances that warrant individual approval.
  • provide Accuplacer and/or ACT/SAT scores.
  • schedule a meeting with the NMJC Registrar.
Admission Classifications
New Mexico Junior College classifies students by the following categories:
Freshman – a student who has earned fewer than 30 academic semester credit hours
Sophomore – a student who has earned 30 or more academic semester credit hours
Full-time student – a student registered for 12 or more credit hours per semester
Part-time student – a student registered for less than 12 credit hours per semester
Any applicant for admission who has attended another college or university must have official transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities sent directly to the New Mexico Junior College Registrar’s office.

Credits earned at other postsecondary institutions may be transferred and applied toward program requirements in accordance with the following guidelines:
  • Courses must be from a Regionally Accredited postsecondary institution.
  • The student must be degree-seeking and courses must apply to the declared degree.
  • A course description must be available in the transfer institution’s official catalog.
  • When transferring from institutions on the quarter system, one quarter-hour is equivalent to two-thirds of a semester hour.
  • The course must be considered college-level (i.e. not transitional or high-school level) work
  • Upper-division (junior and senior level) courses will not transfer unless as part of a specific articulation agreement.
  • Courses that are accepted in transfer to New Mexico Junior College will be listed on the NMJC transcript with the letter grade and the number of hours accepted but will not be calculated into the grade point average.
  • A minimum of 15 semester hours must be earned at NMJC. The remainder may be acceptable transfer credits.

If students have questions about the evaluation of transfer credit, they may contact the NMJC Registrar.

New Mexico Common Course Numbering

The goal of the common course numbering system is to improve the transfer and articulation of courses between New Mexico's public and tribal higher education institutions. If a student completes a commonly numbered course at one New Mexico public/tribal Higher Education Institution (HEI) and transfers to another New Mexico public/tribal HEI, the receiving HEI shall accept the course as equivalent to the course with the same number that is offered at the receiving HEI. This means that a commonly numbered course shall fulfill degree requirements when it is accepted as an equivalent course that is part of the degree requirements of a student's chosen academic program at the receiving institution. A student who has completed commonly numbered courses that are not part of their chosen degree requirements is not exempted from course requirements for their chosen degree. The Course Numbering System will include all lower division academic courses offered at New Mexico's public higher education institutions.

A Core Matrix of approved courses guaranteed to transfer and meet general education requirements at any New Mexico college or university can be found on the New Mexico Higher Education Department website at www.hed.state.nm.us.

New Mexico General Education Transfer Core

In accordance with policies established by the New Mexico Higher Education Department, designated general education core courses successfully completed at any regionally accredited public institution of higher education in New Mexico are guaranteed to transfer to any New Mexico public institution.

For Associate degrees (excluding AAS degrees) – 31 hours For Associate of Applied Science Degrees (AAS) – 15 credit hours
Fixed 22 - At least 22 credit hours of courses in the following six content areas: Fixed 12 - At least 12 credit hours of courses from four of the following six content areas:
Communications (6 credits) Communications
Mathematics (3 credits) Mathematics
Science (4 credits) Science
Social and Behavioral Science (3 credits) Science
Humanities (3 credits) Humanities
Creative and Fine Arts (3 credits) Creative and Fine Arts
Flexible nine Flexible three
The content areas listed above or other content areas that the institution deems appropriate. The content areas listed above or other content areas that the institution deems appropriate.
Transfer Credit Appeal
In accordance with New Mexico state regulations, NMJC has established the following procedure for receiving and resolving complaints from students or from other complainants regarding the transfer of course work from other public institutions in the state:
1.   File a written appeal with the Registrar’s Office providing the prefix/number of the course(s) in question, semester and year the course was taken, the name of the course, and the course description from sending institution’s catalog.
2.   If the request is denied, the student may continue the appeal process to the Academic Standards Committee and must do so no later than 30 days following the notification of denial.
3.   The Academic Standards Committee, in concert with the appropriate college division and/or content area, will review applicable materials and render a final decision. 
If the course or courses in question are part of a state-approved transfer module, the student may make further appeal to the Higher Education Department in Santa Fe by contacting:
Deputy Secretary for Academic Affairs
New Mexico Higher Education Department
2048 Galisteo Street
Santa Fe, NM 87505-1650
If a student’s articulation complaint is upheld at that level and the student was required to repeat the course, the receiving institution shall reimburse the student the complete cost, including tuition, books, and fees of each course the student was required to repeat at the receiving institution.
Credit for Prior Learning
Technical/Vocational Credit:

Only credit earned in non-technical subjects shall be initially accepted from technical institutes which are accredited by a regional collegiate accrediting association. Normally, no credit shall be accepted by the College from technical institutes, business schools, or other post high school institutes which are not members of regional collegiate accrediting associations. However, students applying to the College who have earned technical credit, which they believe would be applicable to the degree they are pursuing, may have an official transcript sent from the school directly to the New Mexico Junior College, Registrar. It shall then be the student's responsibility to request referral of this transcript by the Registrar to the division of the college having supervision of his/her particular program. The division shall determine whether any of the credit is acceptable in its program and return the transcript with its recommendations to the Registrar. An interview or demonstration of competence, or both, shall be required before the decision regarding credit is made. Acceptance of such credit shall be binding only to the specific program recommending credit. It shall be subject to re-evaluation should the student later enter another program offered by the College.

Law Enforcement / Corrections (Criminal Justice)
New Mexico Junior College recognizes that New Mexico police officers and corrections officers come to us with a firm grounding in their individual disciplines. We recognize and honor their prior learning by awarding college credit for a wide variety of learning experiences, both classroom and practical experience. In an effort to assist officers who want to further their educational experiences, NMJC is willing to award college credit for successful completion of both a certified law enforcement academy and / or corrections academy. Such credit will be treated as credit without a grade, will count toward graduation, and may be used in fulfilling specific curriculum requirements. Credit will be awarded upon completion of 15 credit hours at NMJC as follows: 
  • Any currently certified and commissioned police officer may receive up to 32 credits by providing proof (original certificate) of the successful completion of a certified law enforcement academy in New Mexico. Credits may count toward the AAS in Criminal Justice or an AA. Students will receive credit as follows:
    • LA 113 or CJ 113-Introduction to Criminal Justice—3 hrs.
    • LA 113P or CJ 113P-Introduction to Policing—3 hrs.
    • LA 123P or CJ 123P- Law Enforcement Patrol Procedures—3 hrs.
    • LA 113B or CJ 113B-Substantive Criminal Law—3 hrs.
    • LA 213A or CJ 213A-Criminal Investigation—3 hrs.
    • LA 123F or CJ 123F-Traffic Law & Accident Investigation—3 hrs.
    • LA 123D or CJ 123D-Technical Writing—3 hrs.
    • LA 114 Custody Control, Chemical Agents and Officer Safety—4 hrs.
  • Any currently New Mexico state corrections officer employed by a public or private correctional facility may receive up to 9 credits by providing proof (original certificate) of successful completion of a certified corrections academy in New Mexico. Students will receive credit as follows:
    • CA 113J or CJ 113J-Introduction to Corrections—3 hrs.
    • CA 123J or CJ 123J-Corrections Officer Safety and Weapons Training—3 hrs.
    • CA 133J or CJ 133J-Communications and Interpersonal Skills for the Corrections Officer—3 hrs.

NMJC will also accept transfer of credits from any other regionally accredited institution. Credits may transfer but not necessarily apply to the student’s chosen course of study. Whether credits will count toward a degree is based on the decision of the College Vice President for Student Services and the Dean of Public Safety. Students will be required to have certified copies of transcripts sent to NMJC.

Students will be required to complete a minimum of 15 hours of course work at NMJC and meet all other requirements for graduation.   Credit will be awarded upon completion of 15 credit hours at NMJC.

Military Credit

New Mexico Junior College utilizes the American Council on Education (“ACE”) Military Guide to grant students credit for any prior military courses and occupations. Students will receive credit only for coursework that applies towards the degree they are pursuing. Students need to be current NMJC degree-seeking students. A Joint Services Transcript (JST) needs to be sent to New Mexico Junior College, Registrar, in order to be evaluated.

Institutional Challenge
New Mexico Junior College recognizes that students learn by experience as well as in the formal class setting. Therefore, students who wish to establish NMJC credit for prior education, training, and / or experience may challenge a course by taking a comprehensive examination that is administered by the division responsible for the course. The grade on each institutional challenge exam is the grade that will appear on the NMJC transcript. In order to be eligible to attempt credit by institutional challenge, the following provisions must be met:
• The student must contact the appropriate academic dean and instructor for permission and make arrangements to take the institutional exam for credit.
• The student must not have previously audited, enrolled in, or attempted credit by examination in the course(s).
• The student must enroll in the course before the institutional challenge exam can be taken.
• Courses successfully challenged may count toward program requirements, but not NMJC’s graduation residency requirement.
Credit by exam will not be awarded for physical education activity classes.

Advanced Placement (AP) / College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Students may earn up to 48 credits through Advanced Placement (AP) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests. Earned AP and CLEP credit will be treated as transfer credit without a grade, will count toward graduation, and may be used in fulfilling specific curriculum requirements. For more information, contact the NMJC Registrar’s Office.

Advanced Placement (AP) Exams
Students who have completed college-level courses in secondary schools and have taken the Advanced Placement (AP) examinations of the College Board with resulting composite scores of 3, 4, or 5 may petition for college credit and advanced placement. Listed below are the NMJC courses and the credit hours which will be given for AP scores obtained in the AP subject area indicated:  
Art History 3
ARTH 2110 - History of Art I
Biology 3
Biology 4 or 5
BIOL 2120c – Cellular & Molecular Biology or BIOL 2110C
Calculus AB 3 MATH 1240 - Pre-Calculus 3
Calculus AB 4 or 5
MATH 1510 - Calculus I
Calculus BC 3
MATH 1510 - Calculus I1

1Calculus I only if Calculus AB subscore of a 4

Calculus BC 4 or 5
MATH 1510 - Calculus I and MATH 1520 Calculus II^
^Calculus II credit upon successful completion of Calculus III
Chemistry 3 CHEM 1110C - Introduction to Chemistry or CHEM 1120C 4*
4 CHEM 1215C - General Chemistry I 4*
5 CHEM 1215C - General Chemistry I and CHEM 1225C - General Chemistry II 8*
Comparative Government and Politics 3, 4, or 5 POLS 2110 - Comparative Politics 3
Computer Science A 3 CS 114 - Fundamentals of Programming 4
Computer Science A 4 or 5 CS 213J - JAVA Programming 3
Computer Science Principles 3, 4, or 5 CS 113 - Fundamentals of Programming 3
English Language and Composition 3, 4, or 5 ENGL 1110 - Composition I 3
English Literature and Composition 3, 4, or 5 ENGL 1410 - Introduction to Literature 3
Environmental Science 3, 4, or 5 ENVS 1110 - Environmental Science I or FORS 1010 3
European History 3 HIST 1150 - Western Civilization I 3
European History 4 or 5 HIST 1150 - Western Civilization I and HIST 1160 - Western Civilization II 6
German Language and Culture 3 GRMN 1110  - German I 3
German Language and Culture 4 GRMN 1110  - German I and GRMN 1120 - German II 6
German Language and Culture 5 GRMN 1110  - German I and GRMN 1120 - German II and GRMN 2110 - German III 9
Human Geography 3, 4, or 5 GGEOG 1165 - People and Place 3
Macroeconomics 3, 4, or 5 ECON 2110 - Macroeconomic Principles 3
Microeconomics 3, 4, or 5 ECON 2120 - Microeconomic Principles 3
Physics 1 3, 4, or 5 PHYS 1230C - Algebra-based Physics I 4*
Physics 2 3, 4, or 5 PHYS 1240C - Algebra-based Physics II 4*
Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism 3, 4, or 5 PHYS 1320C - Calculus-based Physics II 4*
Physics C: Mechanics 3, 4, or 5 PHYS 1310C - Calculus-based Physics I 4*
Psychology 3, 4, or 5 PSYC 1110 - Introduction to Psychology 3
Spanish Language and Culture  3  SPAN 1110 - Spanish I  4
Spanish Language and Culture  4  SPAN 1110 and SPAN 1120 - Spanish I and Spanish II  8
Spanish Language and Culture  5  SPAN 1110, SPAN 1120, and SPAN 2110 - Spanish I, II, and III  12
Statistics 3, 4, or 5 MATH 1350 - Introduction to Statistics  3
Studio Art: 2-D Design Portfolio  3 ARTS 1610 - Drawing I or ARTS 1240 Design I  3
Studio Art: 2-D Design Portfolio 4 or 5 ARTS 1610 - Drawing I and ARTS 2610 Drawing II  6
Studio Art: 3-D Design Portfolio 3 ARTS 1610 - Drawing I or ARTS 1240 Design I 3
Studio Art: 3-D Design Portfolio 4 or 5 ARTS 1610 - Drawing I  or ARTS 1240 Design I and ARTS 2610 Drawing II 6
Studio Art: Drawing Portfolio 3, 4, or 5 ARTS 1610 - Drawing I or ARTS 1240 Design I  6
United States Government and Politics 3, 4, or 5 POLS 1120 – American National Government 3
United States History 3 HIST 1110 – United States History I 3
United States History 4 or 5 HIST 1110 – United States History I and HIST 1120 – United States History II 6
World History 3 HIST 1130 - World History I 3
World History 4 or 5 HIST 1130 - World History I and HIST 1140 World History II 6

*Lab credit only if AP course had a lab.  If no lab, student will need to take the lab associated with credited course.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
NMJC courses and the credit hours which will be given for CLEP scores obtained in the subject area indicated.
College Composition Modular 50+writing ENGL 1110 3
American Literature 50  ENGL 2610 3

English Literature

50 ENGL 2630 3
History of the U.S. I 50 HIST 1110 3
History of the U.S. II 50 HIST 1120 3
Western Civilization I 50 HIST 1150 3
Western Civilization II 50 HIST 1160  3
American Government 50 POLS 1120  3
College Algebra 50 MATH 1220
Pre-Calculus 50  MATH 1220 3
Calculus w/ Elementary Functions 50 MATH 1510
Biology 50  BIOL 1101C
Chemistry 50  CHEM 1215C 4
Intro. to Educational Psychology 50  PSYC 2390 4
Psychology, Introductory 50   PSYC 1110 3
Human Growth & Development 50  PSYC 2120 3
Sociology, Introductory 50 SOCI 1110 3
Spanish or Spanish with Writing 50  SPAN 1110 3
Spanish or Spanish with Writing 50 SPAN 1120 4
Spanish or Spanish with Writing 50  SPAN 2110 4
Spanish or Spanish with Writing 50  SPAN 2120
Financial Accounting  50 ACCT 2110 4
Management, Principles of 50 MGMT 2110
Marketing, Principles of 50 MKTG 2110 3
Business Law, Introductory 50 BLAW 2110 3
Macroeconomics, Principles
50 ECON 2110 3
Microeconomics, Principles
50 ECON 2120