New Mexico Junior College


Housing Frequently Asked Questions

 Do you have questions about housing?

Let us answer them for you!!!

Life at Housing

All full-time students have to live in campus housing with the following exceptions:

The student is a permanent resident of Lea County
The student is married
The student is a veteran
The student is over 21 or will turn 21 during the school term
Campus housing is 100% occupancy
The student has received a special waiver to live off campus from the Vice President for Student Services

Yes, you will need to reserve your spot in housing. This is done by completing the Housing Application and paying the application fee of $25. Students usually apply prior to the Fall and Summer semester.

Yes. Public Safety is on duty 24-hours a day. If you ever need to contact them their number is 575-399-2033. Rooms and gates cannot be accessed without the appropriate key card. And, there is a camera system in place to keep an eye out for anyone who is not supposed to be on the premises. 

Yes, you may request a roommate (or roommates if you are planning on living in the apartments). Housing generally tries to honor roommate requests unless there is specific reason why we can’t (e.g., coaches tend to decide who athletes’ roommates will be).  

Personal items (e.g., pictures, decorations), towels, sheets (twin extra-long), pillows, blankets, shower curtain/shower curtain rod, trash can, toiletry/hygiene items, mini-refrigerator (in the dorms), microwave (in the dorms), television (limited cable is provided for free), cleaning items, kitchen items (especially for the apartments), laundry items, etc.

If you have the opportunity, you may want to check with your roommate(s) before purchasing some items (e.g., shower curtain) so that you don’t wind up with too many. 

 Hot plates, firearms, candles, toaster ovens, water furniture, space heaters, etc.

If you are not sure about something than it is best to call Housing and find out.

You are encouraged to decorate your room/apartment. However, when decorating do not use any type of fastener that could leave holes in the walls (e.g., nails) or take the paint off the walls. Also, decorating with pornographic, drug, or alcoholic paraphernalia is considered unacceptable.

Pets are not allowed in housing. Assistance/service animals are allowed, although it can be a case-by-case basis. Housing acknowledges the importance of Assistance animals, which is why they work closely with Student Disability Services when potentially preparing for an Assistance animal stay in the Housing complex. To find out more on the matter, it is better to read the available information in the Student Handbook.

 You will be assigned a mailbox when you check-in; the mailboxes are located in the office area of the Carroll Leavell Student Apartments. A student’s mail address is as follows:

Student Name

Attn: Student Housing

3 Thunderbird Circle

Hobbs, NM 88240

There is not a set curfew wherein students have to return to housing by a certain time. There is a curfew for how late students can stay out in the Housing Courtyard, that curfew is 3 a.m. During the evenings you’re also expected to be considerate of your neighbors and keep the noise levels down.

You are allowed to have visitors, but there are rules concerning visitors. Visitors should never be left unattended. There is a Visitor Curfew in all dorm rooms and apartments: 12:00 a.m. Sunday-Thursday and 1:00 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights. If you would like to have an overnight guest, you must get approval by Housing Staff and your guest must be properly checked in.

 You may not smoke inside any of the buildings on campus. E-cigarettes and vapor pens are not allowed in housing. You make smoke regular cigarettes outside in the designated areas. Make sure the cigarette butts are thrown away in the available cigarette receptacles. 

 No, NMJC is a dry campus.

Washers and dryers are available in both the dorms and apartments. It cost $1 to wash a load of clothes and 50₵ to dry a set of clothes. Change machines are available in the office area of the Carroll Leveall Apartments and the laundry area of the apartments; the machines accept $1, $5, $10, and $20 bills. Students are responsible for purchasing their own laundry detergent, fabric softener, etc.

Once you have registered your vehicle and received your parking permit, you can park anywhere that is not designated for handicapped visitors, reserved for college administrators, or clearly marked parking reserved for other use.