Student Government is a club comprised of New Mexico Junior College students who work together to plan and conduct activities throughout the school year. All students interested can pick up a student programming board application from the coordinator located at Ben Alexander Student Center.
Student Government also provides elections for President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer which will be elected each year. The following is a description of duties.
- Preside over all Student Senate meetings.
- Appoint temporary officers to fill vacancies until such time that an election can be held.
- Have the power to vote only in the case of a tie.
- Appoint the chairperson of the standing committees.
- Serve as chairperson of the Finance Committee.
- Appoint a Parliamentarian with consent of two-thirds vote of the Student Senate.
- Serve on student discipline hearing panel.
- Perform the duties of the President in his/her absence.
- Vote as a regular member unless presiding, in which case he/she shall vote only in the case of a tie.
- In the event of the President’s resignation, death, or removal from office, the Vice President shall be graduated automatically to the office of the President for a period not to exceed the elected President’s unexpired term.
- Serve as an ex-officio member on all standing committees.
- Keep accurate records of the Student Senate meetings.
- File minutes of each Student Senate meeting.
- Handle all official correspondence.
- Keep a roll of all members of the Student Senate, checking the roll at each meeting and recording in the minutes of each meeting the names of all members present and/or absent.
- Keep an account of receipts, disbursements, and the balance of the Student Senate treasury, and at each regular meeting shall give a report thereof.
For additional information contact:
Dennis Atherton – Vice President for Instruction/Interim Vice President for Student Services
New Mexico Junior College
1 Thunderbird Circle
Hobbs, NM 88240